Saturday, January 2, 2010

Kathmandu in a Nutshell

By Tobias Freiwald
A German visitor finds that Kathmandu is one rare place which take your breath away as soon as you step out to experience its sights and sounds

A machine gun! It only took me ten minutes after arriving in Kathmandu to find a machine gun pointed to my head. I was desperately struggling for a good explanation why I was running back into the airport without a bag and my passport. The answer was pretty easy though. I thought the immigration officer in Nepal would accept Nepalese Rupees for issuing the Visa. I didn't bring anything else. Unfortunately, I didn't even have enough Rupees and an ATM is only one of the modern amenities Kathmandu's airport does not provide. However, running out of the building in order to find a bank and get some US$ is a really good way to get in touch with the local security personnel. And after explaining to the gun-wielding police officer the reasons why I was desperately trying to find some Dollar notes, his suspicious look finally turned into a warm and friendly smile.

A couple of days after the airport incident, the ubiquitous sense of serenity prevail almost everywhere throughout Kathmandu. Whether I stroll through the cramped roads of the old town, watch the Nepal Police Club on its way to win the Gurkha Cup Trophy or enjoy my Tongba at a candle-lit bar in less crowded districts like Baluwatar: People in Kathmandu are hardly ever disconcerted......

READ MORE....http://www.nepalnews.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment